Am I allowed to have an outdoor fire on my property?

Residents may burn clean wood in a contained wood burning unit (like a chiminea or patio warmer) or in a campfire pit, under certain circumstances.  Wood burning units must be 15 feet from a structure or combustible material.  Campfire pits must be 25 feet from a structure or combustible material and can be no larger than three feet wide by three feet high.  Clean wood is natural wood that has not been painted, varnished or pressure treated with preservatives and which does not contain resins or glues. 


Does the Fire Department provide assistance with smoke detectors?
The Department can answer many of your questions regarding smoke detectors.  In general, you should have a smoke detector inside each sleeping room, outside of sleeping areas and on every level of the home (including the basement).  Smoke detectors should be at least 10 feet away from cooking appliances to minimize false alarms. In general, if your smoke detectors are over 10 years old, they should be replaced. The Department has a limited number of smoke detectors that can be provided to residents in need and can also provide assistance with installation for seniors.


I have an old fire extinguisher – what should I do with it?
Small extinguishers, sold for home use, cannot typically be refilled or re-pressurized.  If one of these has been used, or if the pressure gauge shows that it has lost pressure, it is best to discard it and buy a new one.  Discharge the extinguisher into a large trash bag to collect the extinguishing agent, and you can then dispose of it in the recycling or trash.  

I have questions regarding fire safety in my home.  Can the Fire Department help?

The Department offers voluntary home fire safety surveys for all residents.  Department personnel will come to your house and review with you what is needed to help make your home safe.  You will be given a customized summary of our suggestions following the visit.  There is no charge for this service.  We want to keep the community as fire safe as possible!  If interested, contact the Chief at 248-449-9920.


I am interested in joining the Fire Department.  What do I need to do?

We are always looking for people to join our ranks.  If you have your Firefighter I or Firefighter II certification from the State of Michigan, or a Michigan EMT or Paramedic license, consider becoming a part of our team.  If you do not have this training yet, contact Schoolcraft College, which offers the courses with daytime or evening programs.  The EMS training is also offered through the training branches of local ambulance companies For more information, contact the Chief at 248-449-9920.